Smarty Pants Dog Training class is a group dog training classes for puppies and dogs of all ages.
You may also be interested in our other group dog training classes:
Who is Smarty Pants Dog Training Class for?
- Puppies or dogs of all ages. Must be healthy and vaccinated.
- Suitable for beginners
- Also great if you have completed our puppy preschool, Kindy Puppy or Big School classes before
- Puppies and dogs must be able to be near other dogs and people (without fearful or aggressive behaviour)
- Helps dogs who need some basic manners training (previously known as obedience)
- Helps humans understand their dogs and how to train them to get the best results
- It is an entry into the dog sport of Tricks if you’re interested in competing
- Or for people who just want to have fun with their dog at home and impress friends and family
What do you learn in Smarty Pants Dog Training Class?
Basic manners training includes:
- Lie Down
- Walk on lead
Entry level tricks you’ll learn include:
- Push ups
- Hoop jump
- Sit ups
ANKC Tricks that help gain a Trick Dog Starter Title include:
- Go Round
- Circle Spin
- Nose to Hand Touch
- Follow Target Stick
- Paw on Hand
- Take a Bow
- Find Straddle
- Sit Pretty – Paws on Arm
Humans will also learn about dog training concepts and canine communication.
What do you get?
A fun time training your dog, an enhanced bond and a better mannered dog.
There is 1 online lesson then 6 in person lessons.
- 7 lessons total. Each lesson is 1 hour per week
- A training bag and clicker if you don’t already have one
- Videos for knowledge and training instructions
- Bonus downloadable handouts for problem solving nuisance behaviours like jumping up etc
- Access to the online learning portal for 12 weeks
- Students are encouraged to access the online learning portal and use the step by step instructions to learn and practice from home. Games are played in class to practice those skills and solidify learning.
How much? When and where?
- Smarty Pants Dog Training Class is on Thursday nights in Hebersham
- Class starts at 8pm and goes for 1 hour
- The total cost is $330
Why take a Smarty Pants Dog Training Class?
Smarty Pants is the newest dog training class at Miss Behaviour Dog Training Services. Our other groups are specialist puppy training classes for a particular age group. Smarty Pants is an all ages dog training class so whether you have a 6 month old or 6 year old you can come.
It’s manners, and more!
Having a dog who can respond to basic cues (formerly known as commands) makes living with your dog an easier experience.
Smarty Pants dog training class provides tuition on basic manners (formerly known as obedience) with a mash up of fun tricks.
Did you know it’s all tricks to the dog? They can’t tell if what you’re teaching them has a particular function, or whether it’s just for your own entertainment – because it’s trained the same way.
Because we enjoy tricks so much – so too will our dogs. Trick training enhances the bond between you and your dog. And it sharpens up your training skills so that you can improve on your dog’s good manners too!
You can have fun at home with your dog and show off tricks to friends and family.
Or you can take your training to the next level and get involved in dog sports. TRICKS is the newest ANKC dog sport. Smarty Pants Dog Training Class provides instructions for how to train the types of tricks that are judged at ANKC Trick Dog Titles. You can learn enough tricks to train for a Trick Dog Starter Title (TDS).
If you’re interested in keeping your dog occupied and out of trouble, trick training provides an excellent outlet for mental stimulation. Mental stimulation is just as important as physical exercise and can tire your dog out too.
Is Smarty Pants trick training right for me and my dog?
Smarty Pants is an entry level course. If you have completed a puppy preschool elsewhere, or trained your dog at home this dog trick training course may be right for you. Your dog should be able to respond to their name, sit and be around other dogs and people (without fearful or aggressive behaviour). You get access to the online learning portal for 12 weeks so even if you’re a complete newbie and can’t master all of the training at once, you’ll have the tools to keep it up at home and succeed.
Because Smarty Pants is run by an experienced, qualified canine behaviour expert, that means we have the knowledge and expertise to cater to different levels. So it’s also suitable if you have completed puppy preschool, Kindy or Big School with us. It’s also OK if you’ve trained your dog elsewhere.
We’re aware that a lot of people did not do any socialisation or training with their puppy due to coronavirus restrictions at that time.
If your dog is younger and may have been affected by coronavirus restrictions, or you have a rescue dog with unknown history please read on. If your dog cannot be within 5 metres of another dog or person without:
- Air snapping
- Hackles up (i.e. piloerection – fur up on back)
- Trying to run away or hide
- Excess panting or drooling
Then Smarty Pants might not be suitable at this time. Please contact me to check if you think your dog might react as per the descriptions above. If you are not sure, and come to Smarty Pants and we find out your dog has different needs, I can transition you to an equivalent private training lesson instead.
Smarty Pants is for learning new good manners skills and cool tricks. Dog obedience training classes are not suitable if your dog exhibits the above behaviours. That means they don’t feel safe and we should concentrate on helping them feel safe and happy about being around other dogs and people instead as a priority.
How to sign up
Bookings and payments are done online. Smarty Pants dog training classes start once every 7 – 14 weeks. So book early to avoid disappointment.
The next Smarty Pants class starts late February/early March. Booking option will be added soon.